Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Review: Province House, Halifax

Overview

When we stopped for  a day at the Halifax port, I haven't planned on visiting Province House.  To be honest, I'm not that interested in politics or history, so to see the place where all Nova Scotia's laws have been made is not that appealing to me.


We end up visiting this place because my sister slipped out to meet with her friend for a coffee nearby, and the rest of us end up waiting for her.  We decided to find a "free" place to chill for an hour or so.  We happened to drive by Province House, and on a spur of the moment decision, decided to go in and check out the place.  I read on the guide book that it is "free admission", so other than paying a few bucks for parking, seems like a reasonable way to spend an hour.

There is a security check at the front door with X-Rays and such, but the guards were all very nice and courteous, and after we all went through screening, we were told that there is a free tour the is about to start.  COOL!!!  There was one lady already with him, and I sense that she immediately breathed a sigh of relief when we said we would join.  I suppose it's not that fun having a 1:1 private tour, better to have a few others coming along.

Anyways, the tour took about 30 mins or so, and our friendly guide (I'm guessing he is an intern?) took us to the library, a grand hall, and the assembly area where the politicians meet.  We were able to go inside because it was the summer and sessions were on break.  

I was even able to pose in front of the podium!  Here I am, in apparent deep thought.




All in all, I learned a few interesting bits of history (all of which I have already forgotten by now, except that Sydney Crosby is from the Maritimes!  But that has nothing to do with this…). 

Summary

  • Rating: 7/10
  • The bottom line: considering that admission is free, it's not a bad place for a quick stop to learn a bit about Nova Scotia's history.
  • Time to spend: 30 - 60 mins
  • Address: 1726 Hollis Street (near Prince Street)

Related Posts


No comments:

Post a Comment