Saturday, August 15, 2015

Review: Dinner at Chi Star House 華星餐廳, Richmond Hill


Chi Star House (華星餐廳) is one of those small Chinese mom and pop shop that somehow is always packed with patrons.  We ate here on a Saturday night, and had to make a reservation beforehand, or  else there won't be a table for us.

When we arrived, the first thing that struck me was the number of "extensions" they have for most tables.  Add a small table and 2 chairs to a 4 person booth, and now you can seat 6!  I sure hope they haven't gone against any sorts of fire code regulations.

Anyways.  For the 6 of us we ordered 6 dishes. The general feel for me was that it was simply way too oily.  I can feel the oil oozing out of my face, which mustn't be good for my arteries!

I can't give a recommendation for this place because of the greasiness and because I don't like how they added extra capacity to the point where seating wasn't comfortable.

Dishes
  • shredded salt baked chicken - recommended
  • diced beef tenderloin with black pepper sauce
  • steamed ground meat pancake with salted egg
  • fish fillet with green beans
  • fish with black bean sauce
  • steamed egg tofu with shrimp

Summary
  • The bottom line: mom and pop Chinese diner decent for a quick casual family dinner.  I would recommend this place only if the kitchen cuts back on their over generous use of oil.
  • Score: 3.5/5
  • Address: 9021 Leslie Street (Leslie & Hwy 7), Richmond Hill
shredded salt baked chicken - recommended

fish fillet

beef tenderloin

fish

steamed egg tofu with shrimp

shredded pork pancake


No comments:

Post a Comment