Sunday, August 16, 2015

Review: Dinner @ Sik Korea, Toronto

Sik Korea is a new restaurant that recently opened up on Spring Garden near Yonge and Sheppard. One of my good  childhood friends, who now lives in NYC, came back to Toronto for a weekend and was craving Korean food, so we decided to give this place a try.

We asked the server for recommendation, and he recommended pork bone soup, dolsot bipbimbap  and this Korean spicy sausage hot pot dish.  The last appeared to be very popular, with tables surrounding us ordering the same dish. We figured there must be safety in numbers, so ordered the spicy sausage hot pot as well as the dolsot bipbimbap.

I wasn't overly impressed with the hot pot.  For $30, all we got were instant noodles, rice cakes, and a few varieties of sausages.  It is honestly what I would make at home when we ran out of fresh groceries and needed something quick and cheap.  it's like a giant pot of preservatives, and so while the taste is decent, I could not recommend this.

The dolsot bipbimbap, on the other hand, was delicious.  The stone pot was sizzling hot, and so we were able to create a delightful sear on the rice.  This I would recommend.

Gamjatang - aka pork bone soup, is also pretty decent. However, at a price tag of $9.95, I think it is slightly overpriced.  Still, if you have a craving for gamjatang (which happens quite often for me), go for it.

I should also mention that their side dishes is some of the better ones with a nice variety being presented.  I especially liked the white dish, but I have no idea what that it.  Maybe it's made from turnip?


Dishes
  • 4/5 good
    • Dolsot bipbimbap
    • Gamjatang
  • 2/5 didn't' really like it
    • Budae jjigae (spicy sausage stew)

Summary
  • The Bottom Line: Skip the popular spicy sausage hot pot stew and opt for the dolsot bipbimbap instead.
  • Score: 3/5
  • Address: 7 Spring Garden Avenue (Yonge & Sheppard), Toronto.
Related Posts
Spicy Sausage Hot Pot Stew
Spicy Sausage Hot Pot Stew
Dolsot bipbimbap - recommended



Gamjatang - pork bone soup

Sik Korea Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

3 comments:

  1. I high appreciate this post. It’s hard to find the good from the bad sometimes, but I think you’ve nailed it! would you mind updating your blog with more information? ​plagiarism check

    ReplyDelete
  2. I highly appreciate your efforts to write these great reviews about this food spot. Personally I like Italian food and mostly visit my favorite Italian event space Chicago. Their food is truly very yummy. You should visit there too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this restaraunt review. I appreciate your recommendations. I guess I will visit this place next month. Have you heard about this plagiarism checker free? It's a helpful tool for bloggers.

    ReplyDelete