Sunday, August 2, 2015

Review: Crossit House Museum, Sydney Nova Scotia

Crossit House

To be honest there really isn't must to see in Sydney.  The only places of interest that is within walking distance of the port is Jost House, Crossit House, and an old church.


My first stop was at Crossit House.  The admission price being a modest $2, my expectations were not very high.  Still, I have always enjoyed touring houses and envisioning how differently people have lived.


The house was owned by one Reverend Ranna Crossit, and the house shows what life is like in 18th century Cape Breton.  I can tell you, it looks like a pretty tough life!  The house is waaay smaller than I would have expected, maybe comfortable enough for a family of 3-4, but this house back in the days had the Reverend, his wife, and their 10 (or 13?) children!  It must've been extremely chaotic during the day.  If I were the mom, I would keep them all outside and playing in the fields for as long as possible.


Other than a kitchen, a living area, and upstairs bedroom, I was done with the visit in 10 minutes.  Unfortunately, the volunteers at the House was tired that day and did not offer to give us a tour, so a lot of the interesting tales that would have brought the house to life was not available to us.  All in all, I was a bit disappointed with the experience.  But for the price of a coffee, I suppose that it is worth it. (5/10)


Related Posts


No comments:

Post a Comment