Thursday, November 5, 2015

My Kitchen: How to make Healthy Kale Chips


Lately I have been obsessed with veggie and fruit smoothies.  After gaining an astonishing 15 lbs in a few months, totally from unhealthy diet, I decided it was about time I stop eating junk food (bye bye Popeyes!) and start taking care of my health.

I've read all these good things about kale, and while I still believe that variety and diversity is key, I wanted to increase my intake of kale.  The problem is, they are kinda stiff, and the stem is almost impossible to eat.  I can blend them into my daily smoothie, but part of me thinks that it's causing me indigestion.

I saw this recipe on YouTube, and decided to try it out. However, I made some modifications - namely, in lieu of sesame seeds (I didn't have any with me at the time), I sprinkled sugar to cut back on the bitterness.

The resulting chips aren't bad - they remind me of japanese seaweed, but a more bitter version.  It's pretty easy to make, but I have concluded that kale by itself is probably too bitter for my liking, even as chips… I'll keep blending them in smoothies, thank you.  Still, if you're so inclined, feel free to try this recipe out and let me know how it went!

Ingredients

  • 1/2 bunch of red russian kale
  • olive oil
  • soy sauce
  • sesame oil
  • salt
  • sugar

Steps

  • Take 1/2 bunch of red kale leaves, wash and remove leaves from stem

  • Leave the leaves in fridge for 15 mins or so to dry them out
  • Toss with 1 tbs olive oil, 1 tbs soy sauce, 1 tbs sesame oil, pinch of salt and sugar

  • Toast in oven 375F for 20 mins, turning them over halfway through
  • and there you have it, beautiful kale chips! They are super crispy and healthy.

Summary

  • The Bottom Line: Kale is still too bitter for my liking. I'll blend them in smoothies, but that's about it.
  • Score: 2/5

Related Posts

No comments:

Post a Comment