Friday, March 27, 2015

Review: The Indian Kitchen lunch buffet, Thornhill, Vaughan

(update: the restaurant has since moved to the East side of Yonge.  This review was for the old location).


The Bottom Line


Good food, but hindered by inattentive service and worn down restaurant. I heard they may be moving soon, will possibly try again once they have the new location.


Overall rating

  • Overall rating: 3/5
    • Food: flavourful curry and fresh roti
    • Value: good!
    • Seating environment: old and worn out (restaurant has since moved to a MUCH nicer location)

Recommended Dishes

  • Mutton (goat) curry
  • Baingan Patiala (eggplant)

The Restaurant


It was a crisp spring Friday afternoon when I visited The Indian Kitchen to sample their reasonably priced $10 lunch buffet. Today is a no school day for kids (Parent-Teacher day), and also the Friday before a week long March Break holiday for kids, so the whole city seemed to have packed up and left town for warmer destinations. It has also been a brutally cold February, so families are eagerly seeking out whatever warmth they can get from the south.
The Indian Kitchen is one of my co-worker’s favourite Indian restaurant, so I had a high expectations going in. Unfortunately that expectation was not entirely met. From the moment we walked into the somewhat empty restaurant, I was greeted by old carpet and a gawky 80s style floral printed pink curtains with matching pink tablecloths. We were seated by the window, and eagerly I dashed towards the food station to fill my tummy with some yummy curry. There were about 10 different varieties of warm food, plus a side cold dish table. I took a bit of each from the warm stations and went back to my table, where a basket of warm naans were waiting for me.

The Food


The food itself was not bad, I particularly enjoyed the goat curry and the roasted eggplants. They were flavorful and quite delicious. I did not sample any of the cold dishes as I wasn’t entirely sure if the kitchen was clean and did not want to end up with an upset stomach. In my eagerness to sample all the curry, I went to get a second plate (normally I would be full with 1 plate). When I came back, I was slightly annoyed that my old dirty dish has not been taken away and was still sitting on my table. Considering there were only 5 guests in the restaurant at the time, I was expecting the server to pay more attention to her customers.

In summary, I give this restaurant an average rating. Food is decent for a good value, but the décor and the service brought down the overall experience. There is a sign at the door that says they are moving soon, so maybe I will give them another shot once they have the new location.


The Indian Kitchen

9330 Yonge Street
Thornhill, Ontario.
http://www.theindiankitchen.ca


Related Posts

No comments:

Post a Comment