Sunday, February 1, 2015

Dinner at Les 400 Coups, Montreal

Les 400 Coups, located in Old Montreal, is a superb restaurant with delicate refined dishes, and a cozy and French inspired decor.


Food

If I have to describe the food, I would say that it is refinement and artistic. Our dinner began with three appetizers: boudin blanc (white sausage), larded liver paste, and white onion soup.

The White Onion soup was by far my favourite - the creamy texture accented with a subtle hint of smoked sturgeon gave it the perfect balance. It was so so so good! For $12, I wish they gave me a huge bowl of it, because it could have this, and this only, for the entire meal.

White Onion Soup - smoked sturgeon, elderberry, sorrel
Boudin Blanc (white sausage) - kohlrabi, tarragon, raspberry

Larded liver pâté - rhubarb, pickled cucumber, apple, dill
For our mains, we ordered: suckling pig and the yellow sturgeon. The suckling pig was technically perfect with the pork tender and cooked to perfection. However, it left me wanting more, as I did not think they gave me enough in terms of quantity!

Suckling Pig from Gaspor Farm - celeriac puree, cherry, radish, sweet gale jus

Yellow sturgeon - Naked oats, carrot, Brussels sprouts, veal jus with smoked herring, savory
For wine, we ordered the recommended 2012 Juste Ciel from La Petite Baigneuse. I've never heard or tasted this brand before, but it was wonderful and went beautifully with the meal. I would recommend this wine.
2012 La Petite Baigneuse Juste Ciel

All in all, Les 400 Coups offers a beautiful meal, both in taste and in artistry. If your wallet can afford it, I would recommend making a visit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment